Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Goodbye, America!


Made it to Amsterdam… halfway to Nairobi! My flight out of Atlanta was a bit delayed but I was scheduled for an 8 hour layover here in Amsterdam so it was no big deal. I was kind of a mess when it came time to leave, but luckily Atlanta TSA agents react really well to a sobbing white girl trying to get through security (who would have thought?). The 7.5 hour KLM flight wasn’t too bad—I watched The Help (didn’t live up to the hype) and then tried to sleep in EXTREMELY tight quarters. I have never been that cramped on a plane before. They did feed us a pretty good meal, although it was a little bizarre to be served dinner at 2 am (side note—next time you have the opportunity to choose a meal option on a flight, choose vegetarian because you’ll be the first to be served!).  It’s cloudy and dark here in Amsterdam so I didn’t get to see much of the countryside on the descent. I DID, however, see an offshore wind turbine field off the coast of (what I think was) England! The environmental studies student in me was very excited.

My next flight leaves at 8:40 pm local time, and 8 hours later lands in Nairobi at 7 am. Peter, a Davidson alum who lives and grew up in Shikokho, tells me that a man named Moses will pick me up at the airport and take me to my hotel. Moses also has my bus ticket, so Friday I can walk across the street form the hotel and get on the 10-hour bus ride to Kakamega. From Kakamega I’m not positive how I’ll then get to nearby Shikokho, but I think it will involve the famous matatus I’ve been reading about in the guidebooks (from what I understand, picture 15 passengers crammed in the back of a van).

5 comments:

  1. Glad the journey has gone well so far. Can't wait to read the posts related to the overland travels! On that post, let me know if the tight quarters on the plane beat out the tight quarters on the overland part... LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're looking forward to reading about your impressions and experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget to brush your teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily,
    I am new to the blogging thing so it took me a few minutes to get set up. I hope you get this note. I have NO doubt that this experience will be LIFE CHANGING. I look forward to following you on this fantastic journey.
    I'm so proud of you!
    Love,
    Mrs. French
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple trick to cut your electric bill up to 75%:

    Want to know how to easily produce all of the renewable energy you could ever want right at home?

    And you’ll be able to make your home completely immune from power failures, blackouts, and energy grid outages
    so even if everyone else in your area (or even the whole country) loses power, you won’t.

    READ THIS: DIY HOME ENERGY

    ReplyDelete