Friday, January 13, 2012

House in Shikokho / New Pics

 ***NOTE: I have added pictures to previous entries (elephants, giraffes, etc.), so be sure to check them out!***

Hi everyone,

Just finished my second week in Shikokho--expect posts covering that time later this weekend (I was so irritated that I couldn't get my internet working that I haven't typed anything out yet). It took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on with the school schedule, because the first week is not very well organized. The schools opened last Tuesday, but the majority of the students did not have their school fees until a week later... meaning, the first week the teachers can't really do anything and I was SO BORED. Monday-Thursday of this week was testing, and today I taught my first official class! I taught one last Friday, but only about 1/3 of the students were present. It has been very frustrating at school because practically nothing was explained to me and I spent 8 hours a day sitting in the staff room wondering why in the WORLD aren't I in a classroom right now? I'm feeling much better now, however, because we finally sat down as a department and figured out my schedule (although it may still change slightly).

I promise to update more this weekend, but for now here are a few photos from the house I am staying in.


The house: the left side is ours


Right now I am living in the common room, as this side of the house has 2 bedrooms. Later we will move to the other side, which has 3, and I will have my own room.



Kitchen. It has running water and lights, but nothing else electric. I cook on a gas stove


Toilet functions, but there is no seat and you have to reach into the tank and pull the plunger up with your hand to flush


Shower... nothing but the drain works in here.  That chair on the left is where I place my basin of water to bathe

The latrine outside the house

This is where we put our trash... don't even get me started


Shikokho Primary School students who caught me in my attempt to inconspicuously take photos outside the house

No comments:

Post a Comment